Sunday, May 4, 2008

Maria unhappy over photo shoot ahead of tournament

Maria Sharapova is criticizing the WTA Tour for threatening to fine her more than $300,000 if she doesn't take part in a promotional photo session ahead of the Italian Open in Rome on May 12. "They want me to do this shoot on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday of the Internazionali BNL Italia tourney after flying 12 hours from L.A.," Maria said in a statement posted on Friday."I have set my own personal rules when it comes to doing shoots and I never do shoots before tournaments because they are mentally draining and I want to just focus on my tennis. "In an e-mail, the WTA Tour said players have off-court responsibilities."Players have many obligations both on and off the court, and what is being asked of players in Rome is in the rules," the tour said.Sharapova said she was not against promoting the tour and that her objection was to the schedule."To be honest, I would love to do this and help promote the tour as much as possible," she said. "But to force me to do this shoot the day before a Tier I tournament is just not right."

No comments: